Effects on Health

Exposure to hazardous pollutants may have an immediate or a long-term effect, which may not show up for many years. The significance of the exposure depends upon the source, how much is emitted from the source, how harmful the pollutants are, and how much of the pollutants have accumulated within the home.

Some immediate symptoms of exposure may include:

  • headache;
  • dizziness;
  • fatigue; and
  • upper airway irritation of the nose, throat and eyes.

These symptoms may reoccur with repeated exposures.

 

People at Greater Risk

Several factors may influence the vulnerability of an individual's health when exposed to pollutants. The very young and the elderly may experience more problems. In addition, people with pre-existing health problems can be at higher risk.

 

Symptom Triggers

Carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and breathable particles released from combustion products can trigger a number of symptoms.

Carbon monoxide, which can interfere with the delivery of oxygen throughout the body, may cause fatigue, headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion and disorientation when inhaled at high levels. As you may know, when carbon monoxide is inhaled at very high levels it can cause unconsciousness and death. Those with cardiac and respiratory disease may be more sensitive to lower levels of this gas.

Nitrogen dioxide can be very irritating to the upper airways, especially in those people with lung diseases such as emphysema and asthma. Inhaled particles can also be irritating and may contribute to damage within the lungs.

Organic compound exposure may induce symptoms such as headaches, dizziness, eye, nose and throat irritation and memory and visual impairment. However, we need to learn a great deal more about the effects caused by exposure to organic compounds; some are toxic, others are not. Some have been linked to cancer in animals as well as humans.

Formaldehyde is another gas, which can be very irritating, causing burning sensations in the eyes, nose and throat. It can also act as a trigger for those with asthma.

Gas and wood-burning stoves may also be a trigger. A few studies have been done indicating a decrease in lung function in children raised in homes using gas stoves with inadequate ventilation. Another study showed that preschool children raised in homes using wood-burning stoves as the primary source of heat experienced an increase in respiratory symptoms.

A great deal of uncertainty remains regarding the concentrations and length of exposure required to produce adverse health effects from exposure to indoor air pollutants. In addition to the studies mentioned above, more studies need to be done in the area before conclusions may be made.

 

This information has been approved by Nathan Rabinovitch, MD  (June 2009).

Family Air Care®: Indoor Allergens & Mold Test Kit


Learn about our home allergen test kit, which detects mold, pet dander, dust mite and cockroach allergens. Each sample is analyzed by scientists at National Jewish Health.

Learn more.


1-877-CALL NJH (877-225-5654)
Refer a Patient

Connect with Us Online


Become our fan on facebook!   Subscribe to our YouTube channel!   Follow us on Twitter!   Subscribe to our News RSS feed.  Learn about CarePages, an online support community.

eNewsletters and More

Our Programs


We seek to transform patient care from reactive to being both proactive and personalized.

Directory of Programs & Services